Emma my Australian friend and I attended the dawn service ( 6:30am) today which was at RMIT University Campus close to my apartment and our TX Campus. There was actually a dawn service at 5:15am in another part of the city, however to attend one needed special permission from the Vietnam authorities. I was totally amazed at the number of Kiwis and Australians who turned out for the service. It was one of those feel good, feel proud moments as I turned into the street. People were arriving from every which way, on foot, in groups, by taxi and on motorbikes. By sheer estimation I would have said close on 150 people from all walks of life came as you can see in the photo. Sitting behind me were formally dressed returned service men.In Vietnam the conflict that we once knew at the Vietnam war is referred to as America's war.Our service was really lovely, while focusing on WW1 and the landing in ANZAC Cove, both the NZ and Australian Consul referred to all conflicts through to the present day, and tactfully referring to " the conflict here in Vietnam". The one rider to attending was please don't wear any medals. I have no idea why.
Proud to be a Kiwi, emotional to attend a service of this nature outside my own country, and proud to be an ANZAC expat.

1 comment:
Maybe the Vietnamese would rather forget the warring which cost them so much?
Post a Comment