
This week has been bookweek throughout BIS with activities in both campus's. We had Ian Billings, comedian and author come on Tuesday and Wednesday to talk with the students and lead various workshops including a parents and family workshop. Today was dress up day. Almost all the students dressed up, some in quite imaginative costumes. Many of the older students and their parents I suspect, really had gone to considerable trouble. Harry Potter and his associated characters had quite a high representation, along with Diary of a Whimpy Kid, and the usual run of fairy tale princess's and Snow Whites, Batman, Robin and Spiderman, ghosts, goblins and football players.
The staff really got in behind the day, with everyone coming in costume. The head was a very striking Batman, with the deputy as Robin (of course) Accolades to the physed department who all dressed as Wally, from Where's Wally and looked very striking in their red and white stripped shirts and hats. More accolades to the music department who dressed as Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Sadly to say the ICT department was dead boring. Andy my counterpart was A whimpy Kid and I, a witch. Abyas have amazing versility. All the cleaning staff use those witchy type brooms so I borrowed one and made a cat to ride on it like Meg and Mog. In assembly some errant Year 1 pulled the tail off my cat. If I knew who he was I'd cast a spell on them. However as the majority of the students are Asian and look fairly similar, and this lad was in costume I was unable to nail his feet to the floor so to speak with my magic powers. Good witches just pick up their broom stick and their cat, minus the tail, and go off to do gate duty, as all good witches do on a Friday afternoon.:-)
There is a funny footnote to this story......
In the UAE we also had a book week with dress up day being the Thursday. (end of the week) As an enterprising teacher I went out early and organised my costume. I bought stripy material and got my friendly tailor to make me a tiger suit, complete with feet, mittens and a very swishy tail.. reinforced with a wire coat hanger wrapped in bubble wrap. Dr Mugheer the head of education was rumoured to be coming to school on the Thursday so dress up day had to be cancelled. I'm left clutching an unused tiger suit not to mention the swishy tale, and the good Dr didn't turn up that week. When my luggage weight escalated I took out the tiger suit and gave it away to a KG teacher. I hope she's getting lots of use out of it! Grrrrrrrrrrr
2 comments:
With hat tilted at rakish angle, the vengeful witch whisked wildly in pursuit of the child cat tail thief. The tail ended abruptly.
Very nice abya though.
Post a Comment