Saturday, September 20, 2008

Glogster

I had a lesson the other day from a wee sweetheart who was showing me their glogsters and telling me rather excitedly how they were adding poems etc. They really couldn't wait for the opportunity to add some more to their pages. I got pointed in the direction of teachertube where Jessie makes a video showing you how to use Glogster. My question, as always, is how will this support learning?
While a wee bit flashy the kids love it. I'm from the print generation and it was showing..... There are a reasonable number of choices for templates to cruise through, but the kids soon know whats there and what they want. You can embed mp3's, podcasts, links, photos, wall papers and of course text. You can add video but as you can see my example doesn't play that well, if at all sometimes. The most exciting part of the demonstration was that the wee sweethearts were engaged, animated, making decisions, sharing their learning with each other, problem solving and WRITING. Glogster is a really cool, medium for showcasing writing. What more could one ask for?
I played around and made a page. Everything seems pretty user friendly, lots of opportunities to edit your pages, so why wouldn't you be excited about displaying your poems in this environment?

No comments: