Tobacconist are dotted around the city and sell news agent type material plus cigarettes and a wide array of cigars. Although lost in translation I was unable to ascertain if there was an age restriction of purchasing cigarettes. Again I suspect the social responsibility attitude and law kicks in. I have only seen adults entering such shops. Social responsibility seems to be the key to success.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” Dr Seuss.
Sunday, July 13, 2014
The coffee shop or the coffee plaza
Jenny and I are staying in the neighbourhood Oud West in Amsterdam. This vibrant neighbourhood is a short tram ride from the centre of the city. On arrival I learnt 2 very valuable lessons. Lesson 1. The difference between a coffee shop and a coffee plaza. Across the road is a coffee plaza, down the road are 3 coffee shops. When I casually mentioned we were off to a coffee shop on our arrival our land lady was quick to inform me of the difference. The coffee plaza across the road sells coffee and cake. The coffee shop sells coffee, sweet drinks and hash. Embibing is not compulsory or forced, instead available if requested. Apparently you can try before you buy. The whole theme based around soft drug use is social responsibility. The using public really take the responsibility issue on board. People NEVER smoke around children. 5 grams is the maximum one can pocess, more is regarded as hard drugs which the lawmakers then clamp down on. Staff at coffee shops always ensure patrons have hot sweet drinks which counterbalance the effect of hash if one was to embide a little too much. Around the city are various indications of soft drug and social responsibility. A seat outside a house in a canal neighbourhood encourage people to sit and relax, but please don't smoke as children live in the house. Across the road on the canal edge was a chap smoking, quite away from houses and homes. I am impressed with the legislation around soft drug use. The lawmakers are not spending their resources chasing small time users, sweating the small stuff, instead aiming for the pushers and suppliers of hard drugs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment